I finally received the last part to continue my ESP8266 controlled Roomba project.
Because the Roomba puts out around 12V when cleaning and while charging even 21V!! My Nodemcu only takes 9V max on it’s Vin so that’s a problem.
Of course our Chinese friends have everything we need so I ordered a Buck converter, this little device can take in between 4V and 23V and puts outs 1V to 17V.
The little bot in action
While waiting on the parts I started adjusting a nice extension I found on Thingiverse.
I changed the height a little and added an Nodemcu and Buck holder.
With my remixed extension the bot does get higher, in my case it’s not a problem because it can’t fit under any furniture anyway 🙂
Another thing I changed was in the code, I was using the RX/TX pins on the ESP but when doing an OTA update the bot sometimes went rogue 😮
I assume it caused by the garbage the ESP8266 puts out when booting, switching to SoftSerial solved that problem.
The code is a work in progress, I want the sensor data to be shown as well and finally send it to pimatic.